A staunch ally by your side when you need it most
At King & Green, LLC, we understand the emotional toll that divorces, custody and support problems can take on your family. Our primary goal is to help you navigate the legal hurdles involved in family law matters successfully and efficiently. Alabama family laws have strict requirements and guidelines that must be followed to ensure that your children and finances are protected. You can rely on our attorneys to give you the advice and resources you need to make the best decisions for yourself and your family.
Creative strategies that work for your family
Our Birmingham and Blount County attorneys provide comprehensive family law representation tailored to your specific needs. Whether you’re seeking a divorce or an enforcement of a child support order or you want to adopt your spouse’s child, we’re dedicated to doing what’s best for you. Common family law cases involve such issues as:
- Dissolution of marriage — The process of filing and obtaining a divorce varies, depending on your circumstances. Contested divorces take longer than uncontested divorces and usually involve increased litigation and higher costs. Military divorces involve special requirements based on where you or your spouse is stationed. As your divorce attorneys, we stay by your side through each stage of your divorce.
- Child custody and visitation — A child’s best interests are always the primary concern for courts when deciding the terms of child custody. Custody and visitation orders vary, depending on each parent’s living situation and the educational needs of the child. In the event of one party’s relocation following a divorce, the court may modify the terms of custody and visitation.
- Child support —In addition to the everyday costs associated with raising children, the court may also order post-minority support that extends beyond the age of majority to cover the costs of attending college or a child’s disability.
- Alabama law provides that child support may extend past the age of majority for handicapped children to cover the additional costs related to raising children with mental and physical disabilities. Courts also consider how a child’s disability will limit his or her ability to support and care for himself or herself.
- Spousal support — In certain situations, the court may determine that one spouse is entitled to monetary support as compensation for the financial hardships that follow a divorce. Alimony may be ordered for a specified period of time or may continue until a specified event occurs.
- Division of assets — During the divorce process, if you and your spouse cannot reach an agreement about how to divide marital property, the court may step in and determine an appropriate settlement. Separate property remains distinct from jointly held or acquired property.
- Prenuptial agreements — Prenuptial agreements allow parties to plan for the future and ensure that each understands the financial ramifications of divorce. We help clients draft, execute and enforce both prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
- Post-divorce modifications — A final divorce decree can be modified if either party faces a significant change in circumstances. Post-decree modifications can change the terms of your settlement and may also be used to enforce existing court orders.
- Stepparent adoptions —Our attorneys regularly assist clients with the unique issues associated with adopting your spouse’s children from a prior relationship. The biological parent must receive adequate notice of the adoption and an opportunity to object.
Family law cases can be emotionally and financially taxing. Our attorneys are committed to helping your family through each and every challenge you face. Visit our Family Law FAQs page for more information about the services we provide and about family law in Alabama.
Since your family deserves the best, we provide quality legal representation you can rely on
You deserve to have someone dedicated to your legal needs. At King & Green, LLC, we work diligently to help you successfully navigate the family law system. We serve clients throughout Alabama from our offices in Birmingham and Blount County. We work around your schedule and offer flexible meeting times. Call us at 205.937.3687 or contact us online to set up an appointment to discuss your case. We regularly help clients in Birmingham, Hoover, Oneonta, Pinson, Blountsville, Bessemer, Mountain Brook, Gardendale, Leeds, Vestavia Hills, Homewood, Hayden, Snead, Irondale, Fultondale, Mt. Olive, Corner, Bagley, Highland Lakes, Inverness, Pelham, Chelsea, Alabaster, Hueytown, Centerpoint, Forestdale, Adamsville, Graysville, Remlap, Locust Fork, Cullman, Hanceville, Holly Pond, McCalla and other communities in Jefferson County, Shelby County and Blount County, Alabama.